Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Jeans For My Big Ol' Butt

I, like every woman in America with a pair of eyes, love to SHOP! I can't get enough! When I arrive at a mall, with blood roaring through my veins, I am ready to go like it's Mission Impossible. Then when I see a colorful window display with the clothes screaming "I can fill the void in your closet" I am sold. I walk in and I pick up any and every article of clothing I love because I know this piece, is the one I've been waiting for. Then I finally make my way to the dressing room and after 3 trips in and out - nothing fits. Ever had that happen? It's not fun is it? Especially 'round your rump (pun definitely intended).

Growing up I always had to have my pants tailored, and even then they weren't the "All American Jeans" look I was going for. My waist, thighs, and butt are all a different size so it was almost torture when I outgrew pants. Until about a year ago I couldn't find anything that fits, but now, if I want jeans I exclusively shop at: The Gap. The reinvention of their Denim line is like a Godsend (read:The Verdict | Gap’s 1969 Premium Jeans) and while I don't officially endorse The Gap, I can definitely tell you what works. The jeans are slimming through the hips, thighs, and waist, have great lengths to show off your legs, and I never have to wear a belt with these jeans! Never. 

Fall back into The Gap

 I do shop at other places (Express and CITIZENS of HUMANITY have great styles to offer as well) but below are my tips for Jeans in general, and favorite styles of jeans:

  • Denim will always, always have stretch. Most jeans are made with Lycra or Spandex, so if they fit in the dressing room chances are they will stretch out in the long run. Buy a size down from your normal size and wear them around to create the perfect jean mold. 
  • Dye is great. Dark, Denim, Dirty, Sandblasted - we've seen all the staining and I am sure there is more to come. However, if that denim rubs off on your hands or undergarments pretty easily, chances are they won't be that color after a few washes. Higher end jeans use a color seal so your jeans can remain the same; which also brings me to..
  • QUALITY! Of course there are those instances where you want this one outfit for a specific occasion. We've all been there. The $10 Jeans sale though, is one to run away from. Those jeans are usually made with lower quality denim and will not last you very long, and stretch out in the worst places. Like everything else in life, with Jeans go big or go home.
DIVE INTO DENIM:
GAP 1969 mid-weight always skinny flood jeans

GAP 1969 mid-weight real straight jeans

GAP 1969 mid-weight stiletto jeans

GAP 1969 mid-weight high-rise trouser jeans

GAP 1969 mid-weight legging jeans
EXPRESS BOOT CUT STELLA REGULAR FIT JEAN - DARK INDIGO

EXPRESS REROCK SKINNY LEG JEAN
There are other brands that I am sure work great, but the Jeans I've posted are like Vanilla Ice Cream. You just can't go wrong!

Dominate some Denim Ladies ;)

-TLW

1 comments: