Monday, January 2, 2012

TLW: Designer Profile Series - LaQuan Smith

Hello and Happy New Year! It is officially 2012 and I am happy to be starting the new year with all of you, my awesome readers!

For my first post of the new year I wanted to try something a bit different and help you further understand my style aesthetic, as well as introduce and discuss worthy Fashion Engineers (let's be honest, they are more than just designers). Today I wanted to introduce you divas to LaQuan Smith.
Lala Anthony wearing LaQuan Smith F11
I first caught Mr. Smith's designs on Lala at the VH1 Divas Celebrate Soul 2011 special, and fell in love because of the print and asymmetrical hem lines. This dress shows off Lala's legs while being conservative and form fitting at the top, which to me is creates the perfect balance in this garment.  This dress is from his Fall 2011 Eclipse collection, and as I dove more into his designs my admiration and respect for his craft grew:

LQS Fall/Winter '11 - '12

LQS Fall/Winter '11 - '12

LQS Fall/Winter '11 - '12


LQS Fall/Winter '11 - '12
Photo Credit: LaQuan Smith

LaQuan Smith is a 23 year old New York based designer. He has shown in 2010 and 2011 New York Fashion Week and started with a dream, his grandmothers sewing machine, and rejection letters from both FIT and Parsons (seriously?!).  His craftsmanship, beyond the fact he is a self taught designer, is impeccable and his relation of garments to the body is a phenomenon to be reckoned with (peep the ruffles!). I am officially LaQuan Smith's number one fan and my first purchase from his RTW line will be these 3D Gold Leggings

LaQuan Smith


You can check out his past collections on his official website,  LaQuanSmith.com and follow him on Twitter @LaQuanSmith - I know I am :)


Until next time Divas and once again Happy 2012!

-TLW

0 comments:

Post a Comment